THE VIRGIN OF LUJN
May 8, Patron Saint of Argentina
From Brazil came the image of the Virgin of Lujn, today venerated in the Basilica of the same name in Argentina. The events date back to the 17th century, when Antonio Faras Saa, a Portuguese landowner living in Sumampa, wrote to a friend of his from Brazil asking him to send him an image of the Virgin in whose honor he wanted to build a hermitage.
In the year 1630, a caravan from Buenos Aires traveled north carrying two images, the ones we know today as ‘de Lujn’ and ‘de Sumampa’. The first represents the Immaculate Conception and the second the Mother of God with the child in her arms. Immediately, both images undertook a long journey by cart with the intention of reaching Sumampa…
One of those days, the caravans camped at sunset. In formation like a small fort, they prepared to defend themselves against the nocturnal incursions of the beasts or the Indians. After an uneventful night, they set out early in the morning to cross the Lujn River, but the cart carrying the images could not be moved from the spot, despite having put another strong yoke of oxen on it. Thinking that the excess weight was the cause of the mishap, they unloaded the cart but still it did not move. Then they asked the cartwright on the content of the load. “In the background there are two small images of the Virgin,” he replied.
A supernatural intuition then led the travelers to unload one of the crates, but the cart remained in its place. They raised that little box and lowered the other, and the oxen dragged the cart without difficulty. They loaded the second again and again there was no one to move it. The test repeated, the difficulty disappeared. They then opened the drawer and found the image of the Immaculate Virgin that is venerated today in Luján. And in the Pampas territory a word resounded that in later centuries would continue to spring from countless hearts: Miracle! Miracle!
By mutual agreement, it was decided to take the small box to the nearest home, that of the family of Don Rosendo de Oramas, where the image was placed in place of honor. Aware of the prodigy, many neighbors came to venerate the image and, as the turnout grew, Don Rosendo had him build a hermitage where the Queen of Heaven remained until 1674.
She was called ‘La Virgen Estanciera’ and ‘Patroncita Morena’. Manuel, a small colored slave who worked in that room, witnessed all this wonder. Seeing his patrons the intense love he showed to the Virgin, they assigned him to the exclusive care of the image, which he did until his death. He was in charge of order in the hermitage and of the Virgin’s dresses, directing the prayers of the pilgrims. When Don Rosendo died, his ranch was abandoned, but Manuel continued, with holy perseverance, the service he had imposed on himself.
Very concerned about the solitude of the Virgin in those places, Mrs. Ana de Matos, widow of the Spanish captain Marcos de Sequeira, owner of a ranch located on the right bank of the Lujn River and very well defended, not seeing any interest from the authorities civil and ecclesiastical, asked the administrator of Don Rosendo the transfer of the image of the Virgin of Lujn. She assured him of the care and construction of a decent and comfortable chapel, facilitating the pilgrims’ stay. Juan de Oramas, the agent, accepted the offer and Doa Ana de Matos paid him for the transfer of the image.
Happy to have achieved his purpose, he installed her in his oratory, but the next morning, when he went there to pray, he discovered with astonishment and anguish that the Virgin was not on his altar.
This happened again several times until the Bishop of Buenos Aires, Fray Cristóbal de Mancha y Velazco, and the Governor of Río de la Plata, José Martínez de Salazar, organized the transfer officially and with all the honors it deserved. Our Lady, accompanied by Doa Ana and Manuel, who this time accompanied her beloved Lady.
In this way, the Virgin remained in her new residence. On the occasion of this intervention of the ecclesiastical authority and confirmed everything that happened by the prudent prelate, the public worship of the ‘Pure and Clean Conception of the Lujn River’ was officially authorized.
In 1677, Mrs. de Matos donated the land where the Basilica stands today. In 1684, the priest Pedro de Montalvo arrived in Lujn. Extremely ill, he asked the Virgin for her cure, so once obtained, he became the first chaplain, devoting himself entirely to her worship.
Fr. Montalvo belonged to a noble family and enjoyed vast and influential relationships. With great enthusiasm, he dedicated himself to the completion of the chapel with the help of his relations and the colonial authorities, who, overcoming obstacles of all kinds, had the incomparable satisfaction of inaugurating the new Sanctuary in 1685, to which the image was moved in solemn Procession, December 8. This is how the Queen of Silver had her first palace and her first official custodian, Don Pedro de Montalvo.
Lujn, the town of the Virgin, grew in importance and was given the title of Villa. Around the chapel a population sprang up to serve the pilgrims who came from afar. In view of this, the Ecclesiastical Chapter of Buenos Aires constituted the Parish of Our Lady of the River Lujn on October 23, 1730 and appointed Fr. José Andjar as its first parish priest.
Origins of the National Basilica of Lujn
Around the year 1872, the Archbishop of Buenos Aires, Monsignor Federico Aneiros, handed over the custody of the temple to the priests of the Mission’s congregation, known as Lazarist Fathers (founded by S. Vicente de Pal).
At that time, Father Jorge Mara Salvaire was wounded on a trip by the Indians and was on the verge of death. At that moment he made a promise to the Blessed Virgin and miraculously he was healed.
Father Salvaire’s promise was, “Publish your miracles…, magnify your Church.” In fulfillment of this vow, he published in 1885 the “History of Our Lady of Lujn”.
In 1889 he was appointed Cura Parroco de Lujn and dedicated his life and efforts to building the great Basilica. With the support of Monsignor Aneiros and the collaboration of his fellow Congregation, he began the construction of the current National Basilica on May 6, 1890. The Basilica was inaugurated in 1935. The director of the work was Engineer Ulrico Courtois.
The grandiose Gothic-style basilica has beautiful stained-glass windows.
The crypt of the basilica houses many treasures related to the history of Lujn, also having beautiful replicas of all the Marian dedications of America.
ecclesiastical approval. The Solemn Coronation of the Virgin of Lujn.
Father Salvaire, in 1886, presented to Pope Leo XIII, the request of the Episcopate and the faithful of the Río de la Plata for the coronation of the Virgin. The Pontiff blessed the crown and gave it its own Office and Mass for its festivity, which was established on the Saturday before the IV Sunday after Easter. The canonical coronation took place on May 8, 1887.
The sanctuary received the title of Basilica from Pius XII in 1930.
John Paul II blessed the image of Our Lady of Lujn on November 11, 1995, on the occasion of the ad lamina visit of the Argentine bishops.
On November 13, 1998, the Pope visited the national church of Argentina in Rome, the first temple of an American republic located in the Pope’s diocese, and enthroned the image of the Virgin of Lujn, patron saint of Argentina.
The Pope said: At the crossroads of the Third Millennium I entrust to you, Holy Mother of Lujn, the Argentine homeland: the hopes and desires of its people; their families and homes, so that they may live in holiness; its children and young people, so that they may grow up in peace and harmony and may find their human and Christian vocation; I also commend to you the daily effort and solidarity dialogue of businessmen, workers and politicians, who find their most genuine inspiration in the Social Doctrine of the Church.
The pontiff also begged the Patron Virgin of Argentina to take care of the Argentine people, support them in the defense of life, comfort them in tribulation, accompany them in joy and always help them raise their eyes to heaven, where the colors of its flag are confused with the colors of your immaculate mantle.
Pope John Paul II visited Argentina twice, the first time during the Malvinas war. Saint John Paul II was also a mediator for peace with Chile.
Return to the main page of Javier’s Catholic Web
catholic reflections
Sign in the guest book
Subscribe to Javier’s Catholic Web mailing list for free to receive weekly updates.
